Saturday, February 14, 2015

Annual Bird Counting


Sept 2014
I recently came across The Great Backyard Bird Count. It is a program that Cornell University along with some other organizations launched in 1998 to collect bird numbers from individuals. It is free to get started, but you do have to register for an online account. The counting takes place in Feb each year. For 2015, it is going on now through the 16th. I did my count this morning for 15 minutes. The only problem I discovered was that I could only identify 3 of the 11 birds I saw. One great thing about this website is that it keeps up with your totals from year to year. I would love to see the wildlife changes through the years of owning my property. My only concern is that it might depress me if the numbers are anything like the honey bee population decline I have seen in just 5 years. (Last year the number of honey bees in my yard seemed to finally be on the increase.)

No comments:

Post a Comment