Monday, May 13, 2013

Lessons Learned from a Broken Water Main

The Sunday before last at 10pm we discovered that our water was not working. It turns out that the whole neighborhood was without as well. It wasn't until late Wed night before it was back on again. Boiling still had to be done for a couple of days afterwards. Not an enjoyable week, but it was an educational one. I realize now that I have taken my water consumption for granted. I had forgotten all the places where I use water in my day to day goings. I learned that...........

  • A gallon of water is very little when you need to flush a toilet, but goes a long way when you want to brush your teeth. In a true emergency, I would recommend a homemade composting toilet to be used temporarily. Maybe use a 5 gallon bucket and sawdust.
  •  Have on hand a gallon for making things on the stove like noodles.
  • Some water for washing a little bit of dishes. Eventually you run out of clean ones. Possibly have some disposable eco friendly plates on hand too.
  • Some drinking water for us and the cat should be kept as well.
  • I would keep a large ladle and a rain barrel in use for watering the garden, washing clothes or bathing if needed
I am understanding the stress that the lack of water can cause more and more. I don't advocate hoarding, I just understand the importance of preparing for the unknown.


No comments:

Post a Comment