Thursday, November 7, 2013

Onion Bag Scrubbie


I recently stumbled on a great tutorial for making a dish scrubbie out of old onion bags on Pinterest. When I went to the website a few days ago to make one, the blog was deleted. I was not able to find another directions for making one so I decided I would make a tutorial of my own.

First I found a mesh bag for freezie pops to use for my scrubbie. I folded it a few times to get the size I wanted. Then I cut the tag off the top.


Next I picked out some 100% yarn in beige to use for the edging. I used a size H crochet hook to make the edge to hold the scrubbier together. I am not sure if what I did was a true stitch, but it worked for me.
  1. I made a slip knot on the hook.
  2. Wrapped yarn over. 
  3. Slid the hook through a hole in the mesh.
  4. Wrapped yarn over.
  5. While pulling the loop through the hole, I removed the hook.
  6. Wrapped yarn over and pulled the new loop through the other two loops on the hook. Leaving one loop left on hook.
  7. Repeated steps 3 through 5 until all the way around the scrubbier. 
  8. Cut the yarn leaving about an inch. Pulled the tail tight through the loop to secure.


I didn't bother with the tail, but you can easily weave it into the edging. These scrubbies work surprisingly well and can be thrown in the washing machine when you are done for the day. It took me approximately 10 minutes to make. I used maybe .10 cents worth of yarn and the mesh was used packaging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment